Saturday, June 27, 2015

Reading Strategies Book by Jen Serravallo and Professional Development

Last week I received one of the books I ordered to read for professional development over the summer - Jennifer Serravallo's new book: Reading Strategies Book. I then discovered a group on Facebook that was discussing the book, so I joined. One of the group members was getting a group going using the VOXER app, so I downloaded the app and joined that, too. If you haven't used Voxer before, it's super easy. You can make audio recordings of your thoughts and post, create written posts, or use the walkie feature. I don't enjoy hearing my own voice, so I've opted to use the writing feature so far. We have only read the first chapter, but there has been some great conversation so far. 

If you're interested, search Reading Strategies Book Group on FB and you'll find us. We're moving on to chapter 2 this week. Don't let that scare you away though. If you join Voxer send a message to Kathryn through Voxer after you download it - kteach364, that way she'll have your Voxer username and can add you right away. The posts are in chronological order and you can go through and listen to a few to see if the topic is of interest or just pick up on the current day. There are over 100 people, but so far only a few of us are posting. I'd love to hear from more people! 

The book is really great. As Jen described it herself - it's a bit like a cookbook - filled with strategies to develop skills for readers. The book is divided by reading goals. I think it's going to be a great resource in my classroom this year, and because this will be my first year as Language Arts Department Chair, I think it will be a great resource for me to share with others in my school!!


What are you reading for pd this summer?



No comments:

Post a Comment