Wednesday, March 2, 2016

If We Look Around #SOL16

I began my morning with a check in on the Two Writing Teachers' blog to see what is in store for today's Slice Challenge. There was a link to a blog post, "Power-less" by Michelle Haseltine at One Grateful Teacher. Reading her post made me think about the struggle my students face when they think they don't have anything to write about. As I face this Slice of Life monthly challenge, I am understanding their fear and feelings about this. I know that Lucy Calkins tells us to notice the every day, notice the little things - keep a writer's notebook and always jot what you see, think, feel into it. This, I do not do. I have never considered myself a writer, BUT I strive to be what my students need, therefore, a writer I must become. Michelle's post brought home the power (no pun intended) to notice what is around us...or what isn't there - in her case, power.  This is my goal - to notice and write.

I love that the Two Writing Teachers are introducing me to new blogs and colleagues to read and learn from.

Thank you Michelle for this morning's inspiration and TWT for pushing me out of my comfort zone!


4 comments:

  1. I definitely find that the more I live like a writer, the more I notice, the more that wants to be written. When I'm not writing regularly, I feel like I have nothing to write about. I open my notebook and sit there, blocked. But when I'm writing daily, there is always something demanding my attention, demanding to be written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're participating in the challenge this year, Janie! Your students are super lucky to have a teacher willing to pave the way for them to write, write, write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you are reflecting on some of the slices as you post. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you are reflecting on some of the slices as you post. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete